Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Black Tuesday





It seems ironic that I finally got around to creating this blog today. I have been thinking about it for ages. Mulling over all the interesting and important issues it would give me a platform to write about; the environment, fair trade, the organic movement, poverty, social and economic development, 'race', class, gender, and, yes, politics and social justice. I was excited at the prospect of being able to revel in my right to free speech. It is ironic because today is Black Tuesday -- the day that the South African National Assembly approved the controversial Protection of Information Bill (often referred to as the Secrecy Bill), which aims to regulate the classification, protection and dissemination of state information, weighing state interests up against transparency and freedom of expression. This action comes despite widespread opposition and questioning of its constitutionality.



"Press freedom will never be under threat in South Africa as long as the ANC is the majority party." 

- Nelson Mandela, 1997 


Today it appears as though Mandela's long-standing oath has expired.

However, regardless of the unconstitutionality of this action, I feel as though I, personally, do not have the right to complain. Although I have participated in many informal discussions surrounding the bill over recent months and signed a few petitions calling for various revisions, I have been largely apathetic about this issue. I did not attend any of the protests, did not write to any government officials, did not actively rally my peers to join the social movement. Yes, I have been busy at varsity and [insert all other excuses here], but I am ashamed of my lack of purposive action. It is because of such lack of action from informed citizens like me that we, as South Africans, find ourselves in this compromising position; in which the ability to hold the government accountable is slipping out of our reach.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."
- Edmund Burke

Luckily for me, and the rest of South Africa, this case is not closed. Although it was passed by the National Assembly today, the bill is likely to be referred to the National Council of Provinces for further consideration. Additionally, the parliamentary leader of the Democratic Alliance, Lindiwe Mazibuko, has declared that the DA "will continue to do whatever it takes to defeat those who want to silence our people" up to and including leading an application to the Constitutional Court to have the act declared as unconstitutional.

Yet, regardless of whether this issue is resolved in the future, today I weep as the country I love takes a step in the wrong direction, and, have no choice but to, learn an important lesson in personal and collective responsibility.


1 comment:

  1. I guess the ANC must have some things to h.....

    ReplyDelete