Thursday, January 26, 2012

Earthlings



"The animals of the world exist for their own reasons. They were not made for humans any more than black people were made for white, or women made for men." 
~ Alice Walker


Recently, my life has changed quite dramatically. In one very important respect, I have lost my blissful ignorance. My eyes have been opened, and, despite how much I might want to, I can't close them again. I am haunted by my knowledge of reality. 

I can no longer peacefully wander through the grocery store. I can't happily order my usual Hawaiian pizza. I can't lust over skilfully crafted leather wallets at Fossil. I am now painfully aware of the fact that as I go through my daily life I am continuously surrounded by and ingesting the carcasses of tortured and slain animals. I can't do it any more. 

Of course, I have always generally known where meat and other animal products come from and, aside from a year-long stint in my teens, I have not been a vegetarian. So, now you are probably wandering what brought about this sudden and drastic change of perspective. Simple. I watched Earthlings

EARTHLINGS is an award-winning documentary film about the suffering of animals for food, fashion, pets, entertainment and medical research. Considered the most persuasive documentary ever made, EARTHLINGS is nicknamed “the Vegan maker” for its sensitive footage shot at animal shelters, pet stores, puppy mills, factory farms, slaughterhouses, the leather and fur trades, sporting events, circuses and research labs. 
The film is narrated by Academy Award® nominee Joaquin Phoenix and features music by platinum-selling recording artist Moby. “Of all the films I have ever made, this is the one that gets people talking the most,” said Phoenix. “For every one person who sees EARTHLINGS, they will tell three.”  
In 1999, writer/producer/director Shaun Monson began work on a series of PSAs about spaying and neutering pets. The footage he shot at animal shelters around Los Angeles affected him so profoundly that the project soon evolved into EARTHLINGS. The film would take another six years to complete because of the difficulty in obtaining footage within these profitable industries. Though the film was initially ignored by distributors, who told Monson that the film would “never see the light of day and should be swept under the rug,” today EARTHLINGS is considered the definitive animal rights film by organizations around the world.

Although seeing the magnitude of suffering depicted in this film was very difficult for me, I made it to the end by continually reminding myself that embracing ignorance is never a solution. It is never the way towards a better future. 

So, now I know the horrible details of this reality. Initially, this knowledge was nothing but upsetting. However, after a period of reflection, I have been able to harness it and adopt an alternative way of being in the world which brings me peace. A way in which I am no longer part of the problem. A way in which I am doing the least harm possible. A better way. 

Ignorance is bliss, but knowledge is power. 

So, please, take this opportunity to empower yourself. 




2 comments:

  1. I took your recommendation and watched the earthlings, could not stop crying in certain parts of the movie. It was hard to watch some parts, but I pushed myself to watch, I told myself "I need to know and see the truth". We owe them to at least know the truth, so we can start making changes in our lives and their lives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well done for getting through it! I also cried through many parts but, you're right, it is important to know these things even if they make us upset.

      Delete